Saturday, September 15, 2007

MEET NAFIZA ALI OF NADI

AS the saying goes beauty is skin deep, Nafiza Ali believes that everyone, no matter their looks or size, should always look presentable all the time.
Fiza, as she is known to her family and friends, took up beauty therapy as a hobby while in high school.
She said if anyone ever thought that beauty therapy was the last resort in hooking a job, she should think again.
She said beauty therapy was a profession to be taken seriously and not the last thing any person would do if all avenues failed.
She said she started in the business of beauty therapy as a part-time thing on the side at high school.
Fiza has been in the business for the past six years and has never regretted getting into it.
"When I was in school, I used to have a friend whose mum was from Pakistan and was a beauty therapist," she said.
"I would go over to their place and watch what she would do and try it out now and again.
"I studied with her for one year and then started to try it out on my own."
By profession, Fiza is a sales and marketing officer.
She was born and raised in Nadi and is the second eldest of five siblings. But her skills as a beauty therapist do not stop there because she also takes classes in the profession part-time.
"I took up this profession as a hobby and because I have a passion for it and I have not looked back."
"I usually do part-time work in resorts and hotels or on appointments just because of word of mouth.
Fiza said with her job she has been able to travel around the place and meet a lot of people.
"I took up this profession because I like talking to people and helping them to look good no matter what the occasion is.
"This profession also allows me to be an individual and I have more freedom compared to a desk job with a boss."
Fiza said young school-leavers should not shy away from the beauty therapy profession because it is a brilliant career.
She said it would allow the person to expand her creativity and knowledge.
"It's a constant source of education and also keeps you in touch with the latest products on beauty trends and the fashion world.
"I would not change my hobby for anything else because I love what I do.
"People should appreciate the way they are because it is true when they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
Fiza attended Namaka Public School and then went on to Nadi Muslim College and then on to Sangam SKM College.
After completing her secondary education, Fiza went on to complete English corresponding courses and beauty therapy.
"I am a Jane of all trades as I have been an examination supervisor, a tutor," she said.
"My future plan is to settle down one day and also have my own business in beauty therapy."

Adapted from Fijitimes Online