Friday, August 31, 2007

MEET KALIOVA NAUQE

KALIOVA Nauqe knows the Warwick Fiji Resort like the back of his hand.
In fact the Warwick, he says, is his second home.
It is somewhere he has spent most of his life, almost three decades as staff and more as a boy from his nearby Namatakula Village.
He has seen many changes since the resort opened in 1979, when it was called the Hyatt.
Kali, as he is commonly known, comes from a village famous for producing some of Fiji's finest rugby union and league players.
He comes from a sporting family.
His younger brother is former Canberra Raiders player Noa Nadruku who was a star for Fiji in sevens and 15s before he switched to league. Another brother, Viliame Tani, played for Fiji in 15s.
Kali, 55, says he loves the Warwick environment so much he would never swap his job as laundry manager.
He started work at the Warwick in 1979 as a waiter.
After four years he moved up to become captain of the resort's restaurant in 1983.
Kali's advance up the ladder did not stop there; in 1985, he was promoted to restaurant manager.
In 1990, he was promoted to duty manager, a post he held for 10 years before moving to the housekeeping department in 1999. Kali worked at the housekeeping department for seven years before calling it a day in April this year. But his retirement was cut short when he was called back onboard the Warwick in June to again look after the laundry department.
"I have been with the Warwick all along because I like it and enjoy the working environment with fellow staff," he said.
"Since starting here, I have seen the resort grow to cater for the needs of guests.
"I have moved from one department to another and up the ladder in various departments that for me is a bonus because I got to learn and improve my skills."
Kali attended Ratu Filise Memorial School at Namatakula and Rishikul High School in Nasinu.
He joined the Warwick soon after high school.
"For many of us from villages on the Coral Coast, once we complete secondary school, we go back and work in the hotels.
"If I was not in the tourism industry I would have joined the police but looking back, I do not regret choosing this career path. I have been able to work with some great people in the industry and learnt a lot of things.''
Kali said young people should always strive for excellence.
"My best memories of working at Warwick is I have had the opportunity to meet some famous sporting stars, especially rugby players. I have also met some heads of State and politicians from other countries when they came for the Commonwealth heads of government meeting at the Warwick."

Adapted from Fijitimes Online